Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The Glass Hotel



★★★★✹/5
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Read if you love: Cloud Atlas, Station 11


“Does a person have to be admirable or awful?”⁣

The Glass Hotel by Emily St John-Mandel is one of the best books I’ve read this year. The story was crafted beautifully, and I finished feeling like I had read something poignant and substantial.⁣

I am finding it hard to write a review that will do this artful book justice. To sum it up, TGH is about people involved directly and indirectly with a Ponzi scheme (major Bernie Madoff vibes). It studies the ripple effects of our actions, both directly and indirectly, on other people. The book takes a look at class divides and I think that the questions it forces on the reader - can a person be admirable and awful - are the kinds of questions we should all be asking ourselves. ⁣

Overall, 4.75/5 for me - the only reason it wasn’t a 5/5 is that is saved for my favorite favorites 💙. Honestly, read this book- you’ll be happy you did.⁣

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Book Nerd & The Cook Nerd
Maira Gall