Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Americanah


★★★★☆/5
Genre: Contemporary Fiction⁣
Read if you like: An American Marriage, Becoming⁣

This post is a little delayed, but I finished Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche while wrapping up another Forth of July weekend, and it was book that felt pretty fitting around the holiday this year.
Synopsis: Ifemelu & Obinze are a teenage couple growing up in Nigeria - young and in love, but hopeful for a better education opportunity in the West, this book follows their relationships over time with each other, with life as immigrants, and with discovering race in the US and the UK.⁣

Review: I LOVED the characters in this book. I felt like Ifemelu was sharp & funny and that her blog -Raceteenth -had a lot of information I had read about earlier in White Fragility but with much more humanizing elements. Her reflections on “discovering” race in the US were so eye-opening and I appreciated learning with her along her journey. Obinze was so lovable and easy to connect with, and you feel for him the entire time. I loved their relationship so much- I could go on and on.⁣

Overall a 4.5/5 for me and definitely one of the best books I’ve read this year. There were so many experiences that I could relate to on a base level but were always escalated because race was a factor, which I’m privileged enough to never have experienced. Have you read this one? Let me know, and of course link in bio to this review and others!!⁣

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Book Nerd & The Cook Nerd
Maira Gall