Saturday, March 28, 2020

Such a Fun Age

★★★★/5

I know I'm a little late to the party with Such A Fun Age by Kiley Read, but I'm so happy to have finally gotten to it! I loved the book and totally understand the hype. SAFA addresses critical issues surrounding racism, classism and female dynamics in the home/workplace - but the characters are so relatable and the writing is so upbeat that the book is still refreshingly fun. Definitely a book I really enjoyed while also gaining insight on cultural complexities that I didn't know nearly enough about.

SAFA focuses on two women: Emira is a 25-year-old black woman who works as a nanny for the Chamberlain family while struggling to figure out a direction for her long-term career. The book starts with Emira being accused of kidnapping the family's daughter (Briar) at an upscale grocery store because of their difference in race. Alix is Emira's 32-year-old white employer who is new to Philadelphia (the family had recently moved from NYC) and really struggles with how to navigate her employer/employee dynamic with Emira, especially after the grocery store incident. SAFA follows these two women and highlights how race, class, and identity shape their relationship. Throw in a crazy love triangle between them and Kelley, the guy who caught the grocery store incident on camera, and you're in for a wild ride.

While I can't pretend to truly understand the complexity of relationships and experiences Emira faces as a 20-something woman of color/domestic worker, I really appreciated the insight we got on the constant challenges she faced in her day-to-day life. Alternatively, I could sincerely connect with her on the career uncertainty and the ongoing identity crises she faced around "adulting" and wondering if her life was on track. I also really related to Alix on the struggles of moving to a new city, maintaining her sense of self while balancing her home life and career, and the undeniable importance of female friendships. Outside of the spotlight Reid put on social issues (which was incredibly well done) I loved the central focus on self-identity and insecurities for women at different stages of life. Reid paints the characters in such an honest light - it felt like both women were friends of mine by the time the book ended.

Overall, I sincerely enjoyed this book and would definitely recommend it. A solid 4/5 - I'm so excited to for whatever Kiley Reid comes up with next!

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Book Nerd & The Cook Nerd
Maira Gall