Tuesday, May 26, 2020

A Good Marriage


★★★☆/5
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Read If You Like: The Woman in the Window

A Good Marriage by Kimberly McCreight was by Book of the Month club pick for May and my first time using the service. I chose this book because I was in the mood for a fun thriller/mystery and I had also seen that Nicole Kidman's production company, Blossom Films, would be producing it at some point in the future. I am so happy I went with this pick!

Synopsis: AGM tells the story of two New York women who are struggling to navigate their "perfect" marriages and the challenges that come with them. Lizzie is an accomplished lawyer who has had to leave hr dream job working as a public prosecutor for a high-power corporate firm due to financial problems she and her husband are facing after he causes a drunk car accident. Amanda- married to a tech billionaire- is found dead after a party in her wealthy neighborhood, with her husband Zach as the lead suspect. Lizzie ends up representing Zach because the two of them are old law school friends, but the situation quickly gets complicated as the truth starts to unfold.  

Review: The story is told from the perspective of both women (before the murder and after) and this format is extremely effective in grabbing the reader's attention from the beginning and keeping it throughout the book. I didn't love Lizzie's voice, but the way the plot was laid out definitely had me coming back to see what happened to her. Also, maybe it's the softie in me, but I appreciated that this book wasn't unnecessarily violent. It seemed as though McCreight knew the thriller-recipe and threw out twists in all of the right places, and I for one am not complaining.  I can't say that AGM is groundbreaking by any means, but I didn't figure out the "whodunnit" until pretty close to the end and I was pleased by how it all wrapped up. 

This is definitely a 3.5/5 for me; it's fun thriller/mystery that will hook you but won't give you nightmares. I'm certainly no pro when it comes to this genre, so for those of you who are - please let me know if you've read this and if you agree with my thoughts! 

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Book Nerd & The Cook Nerd
Maira Gall