Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Before We Were Yours


★★★★

Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate is a gripping novel that sheds light on a dark time period and draws you in with compelling characters and a fast-paced mystery.




Synopsis:The novel is told from the perspective of two women, Avery Stafford & May Weathers, and takes place near Memphis, Tennessee and Aiken, South Carolina. The chapters jump between character perspectives and across decades as both women’s stories unfold.

Present day Avery seems to have it all: a prominent family, a loving fiancé and a bright political future. She stumbles upon a potentially dark family secret when she has a chance encounter at a political publicity event for her father, who is struggling with cancer. The interaction opens the door to hundreds of confusing puzzle pieces and unanswered questions, and starts her on a journey of uncovering decades old secrets and intense self discovery.

May Weathers’ story is much darker and more tragic. She is born on a shantytown boat on the Mississippi River but her and her siblings are ripped from their family at an early age. I won’t give too much away, but what goes on in their childhood is chilling and scary- the worst part is that it’s based on an event that is true.

Thoughts:I absolutely loved the mystery element of this book. I’m a big fan of historical fiction and found this to be right up my alley- what’s better than a good historical novel with gripping mystery and strong female protagonists? It is mind blowing to me that the scenarios surrounding the Tennessee Children’s Home Society and Georgia Tann are based on true events. I would definitely encourage readers to read the “afterward” when they finish the book.

I would say that parts are a tad predictable-especially with Avery’s storyline— but I liked the balance of brevity with Avery’s character and intensity with May. Overall, I’d give this book a 3.5 but I’ll round up because I couldn’t put it down.

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Book Nerd & The Cook Nerd
Maira Gall